Saturday, November 19, 2011

Day Nineteen



(Image from http://yogadawg.blogspot.com/)

I heard on the radio this morning that there is a pastor in America barking on about yoga being evil and that the "practice of yoga in church halls is like inviting the devil into church". It set me right up for a great class because by the time I stopped laughing I was quite relaxed and ready to raise some hell in the hot room.

Lovely full Saturday class today at 8am - why is it that I'm not really feeling the heat lately, is it because I am more focussed on my practice? - and Kate was teaching and she really pulled it out of the bag. I haven't seen her really in her element like this before - full authority in all the poses, eagle eye on everybody, didn't miss a beat, making jokes (I was going to say "making jokes like an old pro" but there is no way in hell I can call Kate an "old pro" because she is like this sunny, ethereal, blue eyed angel) and completely calm and in control. She did such a beautiful job in there. And she really commanded our respect. (She's in her early 20s, did teacher training last year - Spring 2010, our NZ Autumn - been teaching since June last year). I remember when she first started teaching at our studio earlier this year - she has always been lovely and very good at the dialogue etc - but she has come such a long way in the way she teaches since then. Such an inspiration! And she's so encouraging as well. If I ever do the training (I really want to - do you hear that universe - can you please convince my husband) it will be because she got me interested in it very early on, soon after she became a teacher herself. Everyone who teaches at Bikram Yoga North Shore are encouraging though - we're just so lucky to have all this wealth of knowledge and practice at our extending fingertips!

I'm thinking of doing a double today. Get some more evil going on. Try to set the mat on fire.(Please note tongue placed firmly in cheek). Makes me think of that Doors song Light My Fire:

You know that it would be untrue
You know that I would be a liar
If I was to say to you
Girl, we couldn't get much higher
Come on baby, light my fire
Come on baby, light my fire
Try to set the night on fire...

No comments:

Post a Comment